The Barn, situated beside the church, is our beautiful ‘Church Hall’ where many of our parish functions are held. It is also available for hire see here for details.
History of the Barn
In December 1937, the barn and adjoining land was purchased and after being repaired, it was in a derelict state, it was turned into a chapel, with priests from St Mary of the Angels in Worthing coming to say Mass at weekends. The Barn served as the first parish church when the parish was created in 1952, before being replaced by the present building in 1970, because of the growth of the parish.
The Barn was built in 1771 and was originally thatched, but this was in poor condition and replaced by the present tiled roof. The Barn was built for George Jupp a local farmer. The name Jupp is uncommon, largely found in East and West Sussex. The Barn and outbuildings is Grade 2 listed and its main features are:
- A five bay barn with rear aisle, former farm building attached to the left.
- Barn interior has original timber work, including aisle posts on pad stones.
- Aisle post dated MH 1771.
- Straight brace to arcade and tie beams, queen strut roof trusses, staggered butt purlins and old rafters.
- Coursed flint stone with red brick dressings, with two tiers of vents.
- Original cart entrance masked by front 20th century porch.
- Original rear cart entrance now blocked by cobblestones with added bell under canopy.
- Pantile roof.
The Barn is in regular use by local societies during the day and it is generally not possible for the interior to be viewed.